Played this game about two years ago, couldn't find it when I got a new computer. I found it now and I swear I couldn't be happier.
Movie Business 2
A downloadable game for Windows
Probably, many times after the screening you were pretty sure that you would make better movie, isn't it?
So, now you can give free rein to your hidden, a brilliant abilities and play as the movie producer.
Your tasks will include the selection of the cast, director, studio, appropriate advertise yours masterpiece. React on events on set, make relations with artist. When filming is completed be prepare for assessments and reviews from critics, and also Box Office charts. If your production is to be really good, you have a chance to win prestigious awards.
Last UPDATE version 2022.0.3 (2022-08-20)
Update 3 includes fixes for bugs.
New functions in Edition 2022:
- possibility to set Dubbing when playing animated characters
- cheat code to reduce randomness new features for donors
- Make a star the opportunity to invest in creators
- fixes for minor and major bugs
- more cult films (over 3 500)
- new creators and reviews, and other minor improvements.
To run the game minimum screen resolution which need support your monitor is 1280x720 (for smaller screens you will not able to reach important UI element)
WARNING: if you use high screen resolution (>1080p) or scaling of text in Windows > 100% you may experience problems with proper display to solve it read this post
The most important new functionalities and changes that you will find in this version are:
- ability to add your own monsters and cult character from the game
- open answers to questions asked during interviews and press conferences
- new type of players (no- players - VOD services, TV stations and Corporations)
- Stories, i.e. mini-games, unexpected stories, quizzes and tests during a party game
- artifacts as rewards for successfully completing stories
- the ability to offer a role for creators
- outsourcing of scriptwriters
- Oscar acceptance speeches
- the opportunity to admire your artifacts, cars, paintings and awards in a dedicated section
- and more, including UI and algorithm improvements, new creators and reviews, bug fixes and many other small improvements.
You can read details about this changes in dedicated devlog post
- scouting - allows to search for new talents
- interviews / press conferences - take care about publicity
- addictions - for creators
- banquets - parties after premiere
- monsters - cult monsters to be used in your films
- cult vehicles - for exceptional achievements in the game
You can read more about most important changes in dedicated devlog post.
- Motives and tags, the ability to describe the script and movie with specific keywords,
- Character types in the scenario, new possibilities during the creation of the scenario affecting the subsequent selection of the cast,
- The modified game modes – changes to the game modes, among other things, a new career mode,
- Gale Festival a new, more spectacular presentation of festivals,
- Financial history and analysis new mechanisms for analyzing various aspects of your production,
- Gifts , possibility of gaining the favor of creators by giving them “gifts”,
- Test screening – new event during production, among others, a test show for the audience,
- New options for MovieStats – additional options to help you manage your account in MovieStats,
- and others, including improvements to the user interface and algorithms, new creators and reviews, bug fixes and many other small improvements.
and many other updates, changes and modifications ...
The main features of the Movie Business 2:
- local game from 1 to 15 players
- 4 game modes (challenges, party game, career mode, quick game)
- 6 film festivals, where the best movies compete for awards
- up to 10 category, in which they are awarded prizes at festivals
- 10 types of creators
- 23 the main movie genres (and more than a dozen sub genres)
- 31 challenges
- more than 150 trophies to win
- over 500 months in the course of a single game
- over 550 images available for purchase (the possibility of investing in art)
- over 3 500 cult movies
- over 5 500 the real creators!!!
- over 6 000 the elements of which are generated reviews
- over 16 000 photos of the actual creators with cult characters photos
- assistants providing tips and information,
- cult movies - movies created based on IMDB data
- investment (additional studio, art...),
- different kind of sequels, universes and cross-overs
- relations, chemistry with creators which affects the game play
- unique descriptive reviews of your movies
- bank and advertising,
- 3 levels of difficulty and the ability to bring realism to the preferences of players,
- possibility of construction and expansion of studios,
- Box Office of best movies,
- age categories,
- statistics online at MovieStats, and proposals of your own creators
- automatic update sets,
- advanced option associated with the artists (young creators, aging of the creators, presence of artists according to their period of creation),
- Casting facilitating the decision whom to cast in your movie,
- Events during the production and producer’s decisions, which require a dynamic players response to events, that happen on the set,
- Contracts with artists to secure the use of a creator in any sequels,
- Gossips interesting event within the game world,
- and, many other features...
and it is FREE!
But Donors get additional Bonuses check details here
WARNING: game may be challenging... but fun and has a lot of depth inside.
If you are the real fan of movies and cinema you have to try it!
More info, manuals and dev diary at: moviebusiness.tomiga.net
|Release date||Mar 22, 2018|
|Tags||Economy, film-tycoon, Management, mogul, movies, movie-tycoon, Turn-based, Tycoon|
|Average session||A few hours|
|Player count||1 - 16|
|Links||Homepage, Online Stats|
Click download now to get access to the following files:
- Update 2 for Movie Business 2 Edition 2022 released.40 days ago
- Update 1 for Movie Business 2 Edition 2022 released.Mar 23, 2022
- Movie Business 2 Edition 2022 Premiere!Feb 21, 2022
- Update 4 for Movie Business 2 Edition 2021 released.Nov 27, 2021
- Let's play Movie Business 2Sep 26, 2021
- Update 3 for Movie Business 2 Edition 2021 released.Sep 25, 2021
- Update 2 for Movie Business 2 Edition 2021 and Discord serverMay 01, 2021
- Movie Business 2 Edition 2021 ready for Oscars!Apr 21, 2021
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Will the game ever have browser support? Btw the game is great
You mean you want to play over internet vie web browser?
Unfortunately there were no such plans or to say it other words I was thinking about it but I have no time to make it web based (need to learn modern technology and implement it - huge effort :(
Thank you for clearing that up I suppose currently working on the game is much more important and learning the tech required could delay future updates which well no one would like atleast I hope no one will like
sry if I sound sarcastic
I'm in love with your game! Do you have in mind to add more awards shows in the future?
Not to be rude, but why aren't cheats allowed in the main game? I just find it really stuck up and annoying when a singleplayer game does not allow you to cheat, whether it is in game or with outside tools. It's singleplayer, it's not like I'm negatively affecting other players.
There is some discussion below about this topic which you can read but... again short answer
If you want to play with "main game" (I understand you mean Party Mode). You need to create account in the game and MovieStats. By this after the game is finished your best movies will be exported to MovieStats. They will be then comparable with movies of other players. So statement that this is single player game and not affect other players is not exactly truth.
Solution. If you want to use cheat codes you can make donation on Bronze level. This will enable to you possibility to use cheat codes in Party game (but after using first cheat code which is related to cash export of the movies to MovieStats will be blocked so it will not affect Online BoxOffice in MovieStats).
hey don't u think you should make a sequel to this game?
It is already sequel ;) - Movie Business 2
Currently it is incremental development. Each year brings new Edition with new features. So the game is still developed.
This is huge project (currently it has over 30 000 of text inside the game) and probably 10 times more line of codes... By sequel I understand you want the game to be rewritten from scratch... unfortunately it is effort for few years and I will just do not have such amount of free time to do it.
BTW Why do you need sequel?
Hey, there is 2 trojans in it. If you could fix it I can finally play the game without any fear lol
What kind of trojans and which program have reported it? My antivirus software didn't rise any alarms. And I got info about false positive cases.
I used a site called VirusTotal but there was only one report, so I don't know if you know what happened
I had information about false positive cases from some users which uses different antivirus software.
Personally I use Windows Defender (which is quite good and up to date tool). I didn't got any information about viruses found in newest release. It happen in past that also Windows Defender raise some virus detection but I report my application to Microsoft they checked it and made update for Windows Defender to no report problem with it.
You can read it in dedicated post of forum
In general detection of viruses in different antivirus tools are done by heuristic algorithms. They try to "predict" if given part of code can be virus. Often it happen that it leads to warning which in fact are not viruses (that is called "false positive").
Of course if you afraid to install it do not do it.
From my side I can only said that if you got game from reliable source (where I put personally my game: which are itch.io / IndieDB / GamesJolt) it should not contains viruses.
Thanks for feedback.
hey, I’m using the windows defender and it says that the new version has a Trojan. Can you please fix it?
It is false positive. The install file has been checked with many antivius tools and most of them do not detect any problem. You can see the report in below link (even Microsoft Defender has no problem with it)
Sometimes some antivirus software detects problem with unpopular application (which were not installed on thouseds of PCc). As they based on heuristic (simply saying guessing) they often makes false reports. By default windows suspect not popular program which are not digitally signed as this appp. Unfortunately signing which makes application safe from OS point of view is possible only for companies (as Movie Business is hobby project even if I would paid for certificate it will not be granted for private person).
From my side I can only says that few thousands of persons already installed latest version and they didn't get any problems.
But of course I totally understand that you may be scared with this install. If you have any doubts do not install it.
UPDATE: I reported it to Microsoft to check once again new version by them.
I have send it to Microsoft. And there is no problem with the file. It was rescaned and no problems was detected. Screenshot attached.
You can check it also under following url: Submission details (b3b93ea5-280a-4741-aead-927b4f8028c6) - Microsoft Security Intelligence
(but you will have to login with your Microsoft account).
Answer for Microsoft:
We have removed the detection. Please follow the steps below to clear cached detection and obtain the latest malware definitions.
1. Open command prompt as administrator and change directory to c:\Program Files\Windows Defender
2. Run “MpCmdRun.exe -removedefinitions -dynamicsignatures”
3. Run "MpCmdRun.exe -SignatureUpdate"
Alternatively, the latest definition is available for download here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/definitions Thank you for contacting Microsoft.
After performing this steps you antivirus should have no more problem with install file.
I was starting to use VirusTotal (nice tool by the way) and I would give you some hint how to interpret results (as you misinterpret it). VirusTotal uses one engine to check the file against many different antivirus tools. If during the checking it fails on some antivirus software it doesn't mean that the virus is inside. In case of BF2Setup indeed 2 of the AV software detect some problems (I have never hear about it before). But 62 other (with known names as Microsoft, Kaspersky, Symantec, McAfee) didn't found any problem.
Why those 2 has detected some problems? Because of they algorithm which is used to do heuristic (which in fact is guessinng). I do not know which algorithm is used for particular antivirus but I read on some dev forums some radiculitis rules like if code consist File.Exist method used it is marked as virus/malware/trojan/dangerous app.
The problem is that this is basic method which is used when you program application which uses files... in other case if file will not exist application crashes (you need to handle such cases in the code). If such rules are used that means that almost all programs will be treated as virus. And for such "antivirus" you have to be very skeptical.
So it is necessary to understand the result and use common sens when interpreting results of antivirus software.
I am not really movie fans, but this game is really attractive to me. So i like a tycoon game, and Movie Business 2 really satisfy my tycoon desires.
This game interface might a bit lacking, but the depth of the game is so addictive. I really enjoy making a movie script and experiment with different motives to match with the actors. And the randomness of the result is what makes it so fun.
And the funny thing is the movie titles does not always match the real ones, sometimes i laughed at the movie generated by the AI
This is a great game, also i need to ask how do you use a scout talent?
I am happy that you like the game.
Yes the interface is outdate this is fact...
The movies titles are random (apart from cult movies) and this is part of fun ...
Concerning scout talents check dev diary
Witam, uwielbiam tą grę, zawsze co kilka miesięcy wracam do niej i topie w niej przeważnie 10h. Trzymaj się Tomiga i Pozdrawiam Games Gal.
Any chance of getting this ported to mobile?
Sorry but there is no such plans... game is too complex (UI has too many information for mobile screens) and... I do not know technology
thanks for making this unique game , why don't u publish it on steam ? for few bucks ?
Too much hassle with making it compatible with steam (I have never done it and number of hours to make it is not worth it) and there is too many copyrighted content in the game (photos of real person, real names, real film titles etc) which I would have to remove/replace... if you like the game you can still make donation...
I love the game, but why the fuck do you have to block cheat engine? I hate developers who don't let players play how they want, as it is usually them just going out of their way to be a dick
All cheat codes can be used only Quick Game... why long story... trophies, profiles, moviestatats would make no sense when if cheat modes were enabled in all games modes... and that is the reason that exists different game modes... to support different play styles.
Update: From edition 2020 cheat codes can be used also by donators (Bronze level) in Party Mode.
Agreed. This is an ongoing trend where devs connect career modes in games to an online leaderboard/trophy system where your progress and stats are compared against other players. Essentially, it has become an 'online' career mode. I don't care about trophies and leaderboards online with other people playing. The true 'offline' career mode experience is a dying breed. The solution would be to have both an online career mode with trophies/stats and an offline career mode where cheats and experimentation can be used to the player's content. Unfortunately, the offline game modes are being scratched in favor of online modes where you're constantly being compared with other players and unable to use cheats as a result. Not everyone wants to be online... bring offline back - and no, i'm not talking about party mode or quick mode or any of that bs. Rant over.
Could you explain me what is the point to use cheats in Career Mode in a way how this mode is designed in Movie Business?
The games in old days were created to compete... where no online mode where possible Hall of Fame or Top Scores was the way to make competition (to beat your best score - so compete with yourself). Career is some kind of challenge. There is no point to use there cheat codes as this is against the main design purpose of these mode.
Let me explain briefly the modes in Movie Business.
Quick Game - this is sandbox where you can do whatever you want all cheat codes are enabled. No online stats so no need to compete. The only restriction is shorter game time (as there is no point to make it longer as cheat codes are enabled and game algorithms will not survive the strategies to fill up cash every round (as some players do).
Party Game - here you can choose if you want to play with standard approach (without cheat codes) and your films will be exported to MovieStats service. Or (if you are Donator) you will use cheat codes and your result will be no exported.
Career Mode - these mode is for those who want to have some challenge. No cheat codes allowed as this is against the principle of this mode. You just check you skills in the game.
So as you can see Movie Business provides different type of game for different player... whatever is your style you should be able to find something for you.
And the most important thing. The online stats is not only for player... it is for creators. To check how games behave in different situations, is there any problem with balance, which strategies works and which do not work. It is just big data to analyse to make game better.
This is very important for the game development especially such as Movie Business created by one person after hours... who do not have test division to test all possible scenarios.
Please note that this is quite unique project... you will not find hundreds games like Movie Business (I am not talking about tycoons in general but about games about movie creation) and even commercial one do not have a lot of features which you can find here...
Games like this in the old days were not designed the same way as this current trend. Hollywood Mogul always gave you the freedom to set up your career save the way you wanted. I'm also guessing you never used 'motherlode' in The Sims, huh? It exists to this day. The point is that not everyone who plays 'tycoon' style games wants to compete in an online leaderboard. Thanks for your non-answer though. Your free to make the game as you want. We're just giving a different viewpoint. Thank you.
i love the game if there was one suggestion i would give. I love to test and develop by using the cheats and or cheat engine and i'm being punished for doing so? I started the game and attempted to you the browser cheat and was granted with it was too early? I think thats a bit unfair it being a singleplayer i should have the right to play according to my own taste. Outside of that great game.